As you all know, I'm adopted and have wonderful parents! Never planned to do "the search" or anything.
Well about 4 weeks ago, I got a call from the agency I was adopted from, telling me that a search group did a search and contacted my birth mother to let her know they'd connected us. Yes, you have that right. They found me and I was a private adoption. No names were given, nothing. How in the world.....(I'll tell you more in part 2). She has my address, phone #, name, probably knows I have a daughter, probably saw my pic and V's pic on facebook and who knows what else. They probably also have some info on my family as well. And I try and be very private. She had entered her information into a database incase I ever went looking for her so I could find her. These "search angels" apparently take it upon themselves to conduct searches on their own and then tell you the results. She later contacted the adoption agency and told them of the updates. They contacted me to tell me all of this and to ask what, if any, connection I might want, including details about medical history. Some adoption agencies can now act as intermediary groups to connect birth parent and adopted child once the child turns 18. This became so in 2008 or such.
Can you imagine my surprise........I never thought something like this would happen and then it did.......I'm still pondering all of this.......how many questions would this lead to if we did connect, would I regret not connecting, is it disrepectful to my parents to connect, why is this happening.......so many thoughts. I'm still frustrated/angry that someone else searched me down and found me! Isn't that a bit scary.
I did find out she lives 3-4 hours from me. She's very respectful of my privacy and was also surprised as the search and the results. She already sounds like me, I must admit.
This is all so bizarre.
I was given options about what my next steps could be-
a) ask for no more contact
b) ask for medical info
c) connect via writing through the agency
d) write to eachother
e) meet via the agency
Anyway,,,,,this is part 1 of this life changing event. I'll fill you in more later. For now, let me know what you think, what you'd do, feel, and anything else you feel like saying. :) (kindly of course, but all of you are so nice) :)
Contemplating.......and also wondering why my DH and I have had the craziest 18mths-2years ever.
2 layoffs, sick FIL, DH still looking for work, challenges in marriage after all of this, and now this......how bizarre. But it's always a journey and adventure!
But I must admit, this has been very emotional for me......it's so strange. I feel invaded. I am mad, hurt, sad, confused, oh so many things. This has definitely turned me up side down.
Love,
Kitty
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Um, wow. That's huge.
I am not adopted, so I have really no real idea of what I would do in this situation. I feel like I would WANT to meet my birth mom. But I can understand your concern about it being disrespectful to your own parents. I know if I had adopted Noah or used DE/DS and he wanted to meet his genetic parent(s), I would be hurt. BUT I can totally understand a desire to want to do that...
Man, that is complicated. And like I said (despite what I said after it), I am not in your position and really don't know for sure what I would do if I was.
Crazy!
Wow that is GINORMOUS! Well I have noadvicw obvioulsy we adopted our sweet girl ( in an open adoption) so I can only imagine how youyare feelings..speaking from an adoptive mama's POV your parents the ones who raised you your whole life , know you love them and if you do decide to meet your birth fAMILY just reassure them of that...no matter how much the heart knows it, it never hurts to reassure soemone just how deeply you love them!
Wow... I think it's crazy (not really in a good way) that groups can perform those kind of searches without your permission!
Like Lauren I'm not adopted, but I do think I would want to meet my birth mom if I had the opportunity, even if the way we "found" each other was less than desirable.
It may help to talk to your mom and dad first about what your are feeling? They may have some insight on the whole situation and can tell you how they feel about it all?
Hang in there Kitty! ((HUGS))
I've been thinking about your dilemma....and I don't have a good answer. My first response is to bury your head in the sand like an ostrich and pretend you never heard from the agency. But, knowing your medical history may be important down the road.
I guess I would suggest to do some hard thinking...and talk about it to important people in your life and make a decision that you can live with.
Good luck!!
Kitty, you need to post more often!! What is going on in your life now??
Post a Comment