#2

Crappy appointment at RE's today-Dec 11

Update on my followup RE appointment and getting Metformin (long, sorry): Today did not go as planned in any possible way. I got there and I checked in. A few mins later they said my appointment was 8:30am instead of 11:30 and that I'd missed my appointment.(I know for a fact the only time they ever told me was 11:30 and if i missed it why didn't they call me to tell me or reschedule??) So then they said they'd see what they could do but that my doctor couldn't see us. We thought ok, well the other 2 REs are the founders of the company and been practicing long so ok. Well then the next girl walks in and checks in for 11:30 appointmt also and they tell her she's 30mins late and her aptmt was for 11. So I think they have a computer glitch. They tell us Dr. A will see us but 10mins later Dr. B says she'll see us after finishing up some US. She says we could wait since we aren't having the HsG til next week and we say we've been waiting over a week for this appointment specifically to get a medication. So finally they say we'll be able to see our original doctor. Good grief already. I'm already stressed and upset by now.
They brought us back and our doc talked to us about my BW which clearly showed PCOS apparently. I've got the BW results but still trying to understand it all. Even though we thought it looked like PCOS it was still hard to hear. (hearing you have anything wrong/diff is hard!) They said my Testosterone level was high at 110 as it should be 14-76.They also said the ratio of LH: FSH was typical for a PCOS patient, a 2:1 ratio. So the testosterone was the one he focused on, and said it was part of the androgen production or something. (anyone able to explain what this means a little more?) It seems other levels were fine. So we started talking about that and it started feeling like there was nothing else to discuss in the RE's eyes and so we reminded him of the Metformin that we've waited a WEEK for. He got out a paper he'd printed to show us some data from the highest Reproducitve groups saying that statistically met +Clomid is not more significant in live birth rates as compared to clomid alone. Well it may not be statistically more significant, but the #s were higher, especially in the Ovulation category! Well he went on to say I didn't need the Met as he didn't think i had any insulin issues and so forth. When he started talking about me not needing MET I broke down and just lost it. I was so upset, just felt devastated. I couldn't believe I'd waited a week for Met and now we're not getting it to try! Waiting on clomid to work is slow and mentally painful. I asked about getting insulin tested since I had bloodwork this past summer and nobody mentioned anything about PCOS boarderline and then 1 month ago my nurse practioner at the OBGYN tells me I have one level on the boarder of PCOS. (I'm still furious the OBGYN didn't tell me in july when i had BW)He agreed to let me do the glucose testing for insulin issues. So i'll be doing that soon.
I asked about other plans for me and if what we're on is best or not. He said we need to see if the 150mg clomid will make you ovulate. If not, then if you start met now (yes, it's now back on the table) you can try it again next month to see if the buildup of met is helpful by then or you can try Femara (a lateral move to Clomid) or injectibles. (higher chance of multiples but higher success rate).
So what a rollercoaster. I don't know what I think right now..........the only thing I can identify is my anger for all of us having to go thru this whole darn process. That and sadness. These feelings will pass I know but today is one of those days. I left with a writeup for a glocose fast/insulin test and a prescription for MET to do with it what i want. (I think he only gave it to me bc I broke down and was crying. He said take it if you want. DH even said I've been talking to a lot of women who've tried the met+clomid combo that are thin PCOS people and it worked to get them to O and get preg.) We didn't even get to talk more about DH's sperm test and those results. We just know from yest that there are alot of them and they swim forward like they should.
Our RE is the newest doctor at the practice. The other 2 are older REs that started this practice and are leaders in their industry. Our guy is young too. I wonder if we'd like, feel even more secure with one of the other REs better. Perhaps the woman. We'll see the other male RE next week for my HSG and who knows who we'll get for cd12 US next Friday. But meeting the others will give us an idea of how things are with them. You always want to have the best DR.
Well that's it. No followup to me. More like a round up, squash them, and release program. But I guess at the end of the day i got my prescription. It sure didn't have to be so hard though. I wanted it last week, why didn't they just find an extra time last week to give me my simple prescription?!
a) Anything else about taking Met I should know?
b)Any advice on this situation?

No comments: